Lockdown hits and rather than grabbing breakfast from a café, snacks on the go and eating out (or taking away) a couple of times a week we’re faced with a daunting prospect. Preparing three meals a day – plus the inevitable snacks – at home. Even working in nutrition I must admit I struggle for inspiration to keep things delicious, nutritious and exciting.
So, for anyone loving cheese and cracker hour, missing their favourite takeaway or gagging for a decadent burger, here are three recipes to keep things interesting… whilst also keeping your nutrition on point and those all-important quarantine kilos in check.
Flavoured Cheese Bites
Amp Your Cheese & Cracker Hour With These Cheesy Bites
- A block of cheese (melted in a bowl in the microwave/ on stove)
- Chopped: Olives, Sundried Tomatoes, Bacon
- Herbs: Central Otago Thyme, Rosemary, Cumin
- Simply separate the cheese into silicon moulds or mini cupcake cases (you can make a whole block but these portion-controlled snacks work a treat)
- Add your chosen toppings into the cheese here (this way you can make a few different flavours)
- Place in the fridge to cool – once they are set, remove & enjoy!!
Sweet & Sour Makeaway
A sensational sweet and sour stir fry is a deliciously healthy take on a takeaway favourite… Ingredients
- 100-200g Prawns, Chicken, Pork or Tofu
- Your choice of veggies: My suggestions
- Onion, Capsicum, Garlic, Ginger, Bok Choy, Green Beans, Broccoli & Cauliflower
- Cashew Nuts & Sesame Seeds
- 1 cup pineapple chunks in juice, tomato paste, sesame oil, coconut aminos/ gluten free soy sauce Cooking
- Cook Prawns, Chicken or Pork as you normally would
- Add the veggies to the same pan
- Add the sauce ingredients (either include the pineapple or just use the juice)
- Stir fry until the veggies are cooked and the sauce has thickened
- Grate the cauliflower
- Cook for 2-3 minutes in the microwave with salt & pepper
Naked Burger Snack
- Beef or Lamb Burger (Quorn Burger or Halloumi)
- Giant Field Mushroom, Bacon, Red Onion, Tomato
- Herbs of choice – Rosemary for lamb, Paprika, Salt & Pepper for Beef
- Add an egg or tzatziki for an awesome feast!
- Place the mushroom in the oven (stalks removed)
- Fry the Bacon & Red Onion in a pan and set aside
- Cook the burger in a pan or on the barbi
- Once cooked stack them all together (on a token salad for good measure).
Will you give them a go?